Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Swann apologises for swearing in World Cup game

England off-spinner Graeme Swann has apologised for losing his temper and swearing during England's last match against Bangaldesh, which the latter won by two wickets.

In an article for The Sun, Swann said: " I was wrong to swear and lose my temper during England's defeat against Bangladesh and I apologised straightaway to umpire Daryl Harper."

"But I think it was ludicrous to play a day/night match in the World Cup that was so heavily influenced by the dew. The ball was so wet it was like trying to bowl with a bar of soap," he added.

Recalling the loss to Bangladesh, Swann said: "We were bitterly disappointed by our loss, and now, we have a must-win match against West Indies on Thursday if we are to reach the quarter-finals."

"My frustration boiled over on Friday evening and I was trying to get the ball changed. It felt like playing football with both hands tied behind my back. The ball was changed three times in total but it should have been changed every two or three overs," he added.

"I try to spin the ball hard, so I need to be able to grip it. I was getting more and more frustrated because the wicket was such a good one to bowl spin on. To be caught swearing by the stump mic was very disappointing. I don't condone bad language on the field, especially if it is directed near the umpire," Swann said.

Andrew Strauss told me to calm down, which was fair enough. I apologised to Daryl, saying, 'Sorry, that was out of line', he said.

"My punishment was to be docked 10 per cent of my match fee but I shouldn't be fined at all," he said.